Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Camping in the Smokies - Day 5 of 7

We didn't start as early as some other days...7:10am. Once we got our morning stuff out of the way, we headed toward the park for another full day. Our first stop was the Metcalf Bottoms Picnic Area again. Instead of eating first, however, we decided to hike to the Little Greenbrier Schoolhouse.

The hike was great; about 2 miles round trip. It started by following the Little River, then it cut west and up a steep foothill. Sam and I got to try our our matching hiking sticks that we had just purchased from the Sugarlands Visitor Center.

Once you get to the top, the trail turns north and starts to descend through a hillside of Rhododendron. They weren't blooming yet, but it was still a pretty hike.

Once you get back down the hill, you make three stream crossings. The bridges were just logs with one rail...Sam loved that. Daddy's anxiety, however, did not. I'll get over it.


The schoolhouse was neat. I hate seeing all of the carvings/writings/initials all over this stuff though. People are real tools. Sam decided to teach us with his new hiking stick.


After hiking back, we had another great picnic by the river. We sat at a table next to a retired couple from Cincinnati. It turns out that he used to own the bar on Harrison Ave in Cheviot that is now 2nd Street Saloon.


Anyway, our next hike of the day was Laurel Falls...my favorite in the park. It is also the favorite of many other people...thus the three parking lots and paved 1.3 mile trail. I carried Sam up the trail to the falls on my shoulders most of the way. He walked a little, but it was the third steep hike in 2 days, so I was okay with not making his little legs go numb.

Laurel Falls was in the middle of a forest fire a little over a week ago and it was obvious in both sight and smell. Thankfully, they were able to contain it and re-open the trail.


The Falls were flowing very well. Sam and Amy took their shoes off and dipped their toes in the frigid water. Sam thought that was super cool (no pun intended).



Amy carried Sam for some of the return part of our 2.6 mile hike. He was getting VERY tired, but he was still good. Once we got moving in the car to head back to camp, Sam fell asleep. Amy and I tried to find the cabin in which we honeymooned, but we couldn't find it.

We got back to camp and everyone was tired. Sam and Amy took a nap and Sunny and I read a little. That was nice for everyone.

For dinner I grilled some BBQ chicken. Y...U...M, yum. While it was cooking, Sam and I nailed our hiking medallions to our hiking sticks. Sam loves how they look. I'll get a picture tomorrow.

After dinner, Sam and Amy walked up to the game room for a couple of minutes and I got the campfire ready. They got back and we roasted some hot dogs and made some S'mores.



Sam crosses his legs when he sits in his camp chair...it just makes me laugh.



Right now, I'm blogging and watching the Reds OBLITERATE the Diamondbacks on Fox Sports Reds...who knew that existed? I can't believe that I didn't find this until now. The only other game that I saw was on the St. Louis station.
Amy's reading bedtime books to Sam and we are all capping off what I would consider a perfect day.

Tomorrow: Jon turns 30, return to Dollywood, dinner at Calhoun's, and Sam's first trolley ride.

No comments: