Friday, July 9, 2010

I am a Clydesdale

Clydesdale Triathlete Vince Palko at the DC Marathon.
I hope I look and race like him someday.

Most avid runners/triathletes can tell you what a Clydesdale is. They'll say something like "the big guys." Technically, a Clydesdale is a male endurance athlete that weighs over 200 pounds. Generally, there is a division for 200-219 and one for 220+.

The American Clydesdale Horse Society defines its namesake as follows:


"Male or female, a Clydesdale should look handsome, weighty and powerful, so that the impression is given of quality and weight, rather than grossness and bulk."

Compliment taken and appreciated. I'm currently working to reduce the "grossness" by reducing the "bulk." I think it is good that I can embrace this because it allows me to still be "Big Papa Jon" while working towards my goal of optimum health.

Some people feel that it's ridiculous that there is a weight class in an endurance race. They say that there are already age classes...isn't that enough? Some people will say that there needs to be a different class because we aren't racing against the little guys that run 5 minute miles. We're racing against each other.

I say it's a matter of pride. I'm proud of being big. I look forward to the day when I can be proud of being big and fit.

There's one for you too, ladies. It's called Athena and it's 150 pounds and up.

No comments: