Friday, December 18, 2009

Overflow happens


When I decided to ask some friends to join me in a little outreach to help the homeless of downtown Cincinnati, I was so happy that a few people wanted to help. I felt pushed to email my friends Morgan and see if she wanted to help out. Her response was an emphatic "yes."

I made some more calls and sent some more emails. I decided early on not to be pushy or demanding. I didn't want to push guilt onto anyone. I rarely asked people more than once if they wanted to help.

Just before this all started, I heard a podcast that talked about blessings in your life. The theme was "God will only bless you as much as you have the faith to believe." If you have faith that God will overflow your cup, then it will (in due time) overflow.

Here's where it get's interesting.

If you have faith that God will overflow not just a cup, but a bucket, you will be abliged..again, in due time. The same goes for a bucket, a barrel or a barn. If you trust and believe, it will happen.

I decided early on to trust big. When I asked companies/generous individuals for donations, I said "We're going to put together 200 bags, but whatever you can do will help. If you can do 200, that would be amazing." To me, 200 was "barrel" territory. I'm not to barn level yet, but I'm working on it.

The response was overflow.
  • 288 decks of playing cards
  • 350+ resuable shopping bags
  • 200 pairs of socks
  • 400 handwarmers
  • 300 foot warmers
  • 100 sets of toothbrushes and toothpaste
  • 100 sets of scarves, hats and gloves.
  • 200 bottles of water
  • 100 boxes of candy
  • 100 coupons for a free breakfast combo @ Wendy's
  • 16 top-quality rolling duffle bags (to be filled for families that we encounter)
Keep in mind, this is in addition to the bags that were donated by individuals. The above list is just what was donated above-and-beyond the (care)bags. I prayed for a barrel and got a barn. You can bet your arse that I switched to barn. I feel a stadium coming on.

(care)olers and (care)cincinnati were figments of my imagination. A "what if" that my over-active mind dreamt up. I finally had the courage to tell one person. The response gave me the courage to tell two more. From there, it went all nuts...in a great way.

Tomorrow, 300+ citizens of Cincinnati that don't have an address, telephone number, or roof of their own will be shown compassion. They will be loved without conditions. They will be warmed in body and soul. I couldn't have imagined that this would happen. I couldn't be happier that it has.

God has truly blessed this group. I feel it everyday. I have had things happen to me that have NEVER happened before. I have dreamt things that have happened and things have happened that I could NEVER have dreamt in my wildest dreams.

I hoped for 50 bags and we have over 300. My next hope was for 50 (care)olers. I can't wait to see what the morning brings. I'll be in Washington Park @ noon singing Oh Come, All Ye Faithful with my newest friends. I pray that all of you have the courage to do the same. What a day for Cincinnati...what a day.

Peace, my friends.
BPJ.

For more information on (care)olfest, (care)olers, and (care)cincinnati, visit us @ http://www.carecincinnati.org/.

No comments: