Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Words to live by...



This prayer, usually attributed to St. Francis of Assisi, has held a special place in my heart for years. It's popped up several times in my life over the last couple of days, so I wanted to revisit it. I think that over the next couple of weeks I want to examine each line in my blog.

Lord, make me an instrument of your peace;
where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;
where there is doubt, faith;
where there is despair, hope;
where there is darkness, light;
and where there is sadness, joy.

O Divine Master,
grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled as to console;
to be understood, as to understand;
to be loved, as to love;
for it is in giving that we receive,
it is in pardoning that we are pardoned,
and it is in dying that we are born to eternal life.



I like to dissect rote prayers. When I used to pray the rosary, I would emphasize a different word each time I prayed the Hail Mary.

Hail Mary, full of grace...
Hail Mary, full of grace...
Hail Mary, full of grace...

And so on. It brought more meaning to the prayer for me.  So many times we say rote prayers like this without stopping to think of the words.

I want to really stop and think about each plea that the author sets forth in this prayer. I'm not looking to pump myself up and say how I've done these things...because I haven't. Rather, I'm looking to challenge myself.

I welcome your input and stories.

No comments: