Thursday, October 8, 2009

A.D.D and Me - 1 week followup

As a middle school, high school and college student, I often wondered how all of the other students did it. How did they do so much and still be so successful? I was able to excel in Music, but that required little effort because for the talent with which I was blessed.

Well, my friends, I’ve figured it out: they didn’t have the 6-lane highway of thoughts coursing through their brains at 70 miles per hour. I always assumed that most people had to cope with the never-ending, always-shifting thought patterns flying around their consciousness.

In what has become a common theme in this blog and my life: I was wrong.

I have now been on A.D.D. medicine for one week and I cannot believe the impact that it has had on my life. The most important thing: I’m still me. I don’t feel different during the day; I just don’t notice everything going on around me. My mind doesn’t shoot off like a Tron disc to whatever it chooses. If I’m working on something, I stay on task.

I have the ability at work to run a report to see how much work I’ve routed around in one of our systems. It makes up about 80% of my workload, so it’s a pretty good indicator. My productivity is up 252% from last week. Wrap your heads around that one. What used to take me five days to do now takes two days. I get the same amount of work completed by 11:15am that use to require a full day to complete.

I’m not jumpy, hyper, overly-energized, glazed-over, high, low, tired, “out of it”, or any other phrase that you could use to describe how a person taking a psychotropic drug might act.

I was always worried that I would somehow be a failure for taking drugs for my two main debilitations: depression/anxiety & attention deficit. Now that I am finally treating both effectively, I wish that I could have a do-over on life. I wonder what I could have achieved and accomplished. I’ve been over that before…it doesn’t do a person any favors to reminisce about things that never will or never could be redone.

I used to have a mind that would send out feelers like the roots of a weed. I would keep an ear on every conversation within ear-shot. Now, I focus on what I need to complete and I complete it.

Quite simply: I can now live up to my potential…and I’m excited to see what God has in store for me.


1 comment:

auntpatty said...

Jon -- there are no do-overs, but you have a whole new world of opportunities to do-it-now.