Saturday, October 31, 2009

Rest in Peace, Charlie Matthews



I recieved this from the CaringBridge page for Charlie this morning. It was written by his amazingly loving and devoted wife, Angie.

Charlie passed away peacefully this morning with family and close friends by his side. His 37 years were packed with so much life and joy. In the coming days we will be sure to post information about services and funeral arrangements. It would mean so much to mean for all of you to be there to remember him.

Thanks for your support through this. He fought a good fight.

With love,
Angie
Charlie is one of those people that I wish I would have gotten to know. I knew him in passing and, as a musician, I admired his musicality. I talked to him once or twice and complimented him on his playing. I loved to watch him play the bass and march to a particularly up-beat song.

Any time that I hear of the passing of someone this young and vibrant the shocking reality of my mortality hits home. Charlie had young kids...just like my Sam. Charlie was to begin a new, exciting chapter in his life the day after he had to go into the hospital by becoming the new Senior Pastor at Mason Vineyard. I have prayed more fervently since I heard of his illness, but I know that God has a plan.

As I type this post my seemingly Jesus-controlled iPod is singing these glaringly timely lyrics by Matt Redman:
You give and take away
You give and take away
My heart will choose to say,
"Lord, blessed be Your name!"

No comments: