Saturday, October 17, 2009

Getting in on the ground floor

People that became the original investors in the Coca-Cola Company made incredible amounts of money. Their return on investment was incredible. The list of opportunities that people have taken advantage of to build their wealth is a mile long. We all wish that we had been among these lucky/smart people. What did they see that everyone else missed?

For the last three weeks, my church has been discussing the birth of the church. Not a specific church, but the church as the Body of Christ. The series is entitled The Jesus Underground. We've been reading the book of Acts. To be perfectly honest, I had never studied Acts in-depth before now. It's a shame really; where better to find the answers to the questions about faith with which we all struggle?

For those of you that aren't familiar with the book of Acts, here's, a little analogy for you:
The Gospel of Luke is to the Book of Acts what The Two Towers is to The Fellowship of the Ring.

If you haven't read them recently, you really should. If you're a Believer, it will help you to realize how we got where we are today; if you are not a Believer, read it with fresh eyes. Ask yourself what it would take for you to see to believe...because these men and women saw that.

If you spend a lot of time online, you can read it here. If you are a friend of mine and you prefer an actual book, let me know. I'll give you a copy of the New Testament.

It tells the story of how the "disciples" became the "apostles." Disciple means follower, but apostle means witness. How these men and women became willing to die to get the story out. They got in on the ground floor. They learned about Jesus from Jesus. No matter who you are, this is a good story.

There is a verse that has been stuck in my brain for the last couple of days. Acts 3:6.

I have no silver or gold, but what I do have I give you.
I don't have a lot of money, but what I can give is myself.

No comments: