Saturday, January 2, 2010

Jon's Vegetarian Adventure

I saw a story on local media over the couple of weeks about a guy from Cincy that lost over 350 pounds over 3 years. Now, I don't have that to lose. If I did, I would be Jimminy Effin' Cricket. I do, however have about 1/3 of that to lose. He exercised...a lot. The biggest life change, however, was going vegetarian.

Those who know me know that I am a big fan of everything meat: bacon, beef, chicken, pork, bacon...all of it. However, even I am not so delerious as to think that this doesn't have an impact on my health and weight. So, I decided to have a controlled experiment.

Starting on February 1st, I will not eat any meat for 28 days. I will still eat EggBeaters, cheese, and all other animal products. I am not doing this for ethical reasons. God created all of the animals of the land, sea, and air for man's use, and I have no problem with cookin' up a good burger or chop.

Starting next week, I will spend 1 mire day per week not eating any meat. Then, on 2/1, I will cut it all out for 1 month. I want to do this for more than just health reasons, as well. Amy (my wife of 10 years) hates that I am so limited in what produce I will eat. So, I am hoping that these 28 days will provide a chance for me to find preparation methods for some of my least favorite vegetables that Amy, Sam (my 4-year-old), and I all enjoy.

I welcome you comments, recipes, and mockery on this blog's comment pages. Here is a list of my least favorite veggies:
-lima beans
-peas
-brussel sprouts
-cauliflower

Okay...I have about 20 more on this list, so let's just say that I only like corn, potatoes, baked beans, and iceberg. I will also eat soy beans and green beans, but I don't like it.

Bring it on...I need some inside info. What do you veggies and vegans enjoy?

6 comments:

John Arns said...

Jon, you listed some vwggies that I love. How bout broccoli ? It's one of the best veggies you can put into your body, and it tastes good if you steam it then drizzle it with balsamic vinegar or lemon juice. And you'll not ever go wrong eating beans. very good. Is the iceberg you mentioned referring to iceberg lettuce ? if so, try other types. iceberg has very little nutritional value compared to other lettuces. romaine is my choice. or try the Dole packages which include various types.

happy eating !

bshawise said...

jon, most of the vegetables you like aren't that good for you, really. leah cooked a bunch of stuff from this lady's books when she went on a vegan kick awhile back. i'd recommend them. tasty and healthy.

skinny b

Jon said...

Brad- I know...that's part of the problem. They have little to no nutritional value. I'll definately check out that book.

John Arns said...

skinny b's recipes from brad and leah sound good to me. I'm going to check it out, too, as i also am looking to slim my midsection.

I'm also going to throw in my two cents worth about some veggies. as you already know, the corn has little value. it's also sweet which means its sugar will convert to fat. and the potatoes are loaded with carbohydrates which put on pounds. a positive for spuds, though, is that they are high in vitamin c and potassium. so they're not all bad. only problem is that we all tend to eat too much at one sitting. beans help rid the body of bad ldl cholesterol and are high in fiber. I'm not sure what the skinny b's say about beans. I'll read and find out.

i'm a big supporter of tomatoes and pasta sauce, too, mainly because they contain lycopene which helps us guys keep our prostate healthy. it'll ward off prostate cancer and other related prostate maladies. The problem, though, is that most men in their 30s and 40s don't give any thought to their prostate gland until they develop problems in their 50s and 60s. Best to be proactive. I also like the taste of tomatoes and tomato based products. the fact that they are healthy is just icing on the cake. so i consume them daily.

bee listy said...

the keys to good veg eating is all in the preparation. boiled brussels sprouts are gross to me, but i roast mine in just a bit of olive oil, salt, and pepper, and they're totally delicious!

I was vegan for a couple years, and veggie for many years. i am a huge fan of black bean burgers (the spicy ones from morningstar farms are my favorite), and tvp (better known as fake meat crumbles). some of the imitation chicken products are really tasty.

Unknown said...

Hi Jon,

It's Becca your fellow SP Vineyard Team Leader. I have been reading a bit of your blog and I am intrigued! I relate in so many ways. Last August my husband and I went on the 21 day Daniel Fast, which is no meat, mostly produce. Long story short, it converted my husband to vegetarian. He is not overweight, but was nonetheless unhealthy.I on the other hand have reduced my meat intake greatly, but not completely. He has felt so much better physically and has expanded his palet you could say. I could go on and on, but just wanna say good luck and good to hear from you again!