Thursday, January 7, 2010

Vegetarian Adventure - Prep Week One

As I said in a previous post, I am going to spend the month of February 2010 as a vegetarian. More specifically, I am going to be a Lacto-ovo vegetarian. So, I will not be eating meat, poultry, and fish. This differs from other forms in that I will eat eggs, dairy and honey. For a good description of each, you can check out this page: http://vegetarian.about.com/od/vegetarianvegan101/tp/TypesofVeg.htm.

I found PETA's Vegetarian Starter Kit through a google search. They will mail it to you, but I try to keep my personal and contact info from fanatical groups. Although, anyone that can get Natalie Portman and Paul McCartney do make free appearances can't be all bad. My reasons for going veg are entirely different than what they have going on, but the recipes look good.

I would fill out the Pledge to be Veg, but (again) I don't want to be on their mailing list. I know that February is only 28 days, but I'll just eschew meat on the 30th and 31st of January, as well.

Today's menu is pretty innocuous:
  • Breakfast: Peanut Butter Sandwich on whole grain/double fiber bread.
  • Lunch: Tossed Salad with Balsamic Vinegar, hard-boiled eggs (which I hate, but provide good protein and fat), and a Thai Noodle Salad that they have here at work. If the Potato Soup doesn't have bacon in it, I may have a cup of that.
  • Dinner: Little Ceasar's cheese pizza and Crazy Bread
The only departures from the norm for me on this are (1) no bacon or turkey on the salad and (2) no pepperoni on the pizza. Honestly, neither one of these are dealbreakers or especially tasty.

Next week: Tues & Thurs Veg. I'm going to push myself to find a recipe involving spinach that I enjoy.




2 comments:

Unknown said...

Good for you! I have been a Lacto-ovo vegetarian for about 14 years. Just one little tip, be leery of most soups... even the most innocent sounding soups contain chicken or beef stock.

Jon said...

Potato soup had obvious ham cubes. I made a salad with some egg. It is confirmed...I hate hard-boiled eggs. There is nothing about them that I like. Plus, the Thai Noodle Salad looked VERY gross. I had some mixed veggies (peas, carrots, green beans, lima beans) and some vanilla pudding, but that's it. I'm going to go get some pretzels.